Visitor Experience Associate (Part-Time)
Job Title: Visitor Experience Associate
Department: Visitor Experience
Status: Regular, Part-Time
Schedule: 15 hours/week, Variable. Evenings, weekends and holidays required
Reports to: Visitor Experience Manager
Pay Rate: $16.44/HR
Mission: We generate culture that moves people.
Vision: A community that thrives on inspiration.
YBCA believes in the fundamental role that art, creativity and imagination play in any healthy community, in any healthy life. As a public asset, we strive to be a place and resource for everyone, and we dedicate significant resource to collaborating with underserved and underestimated communities in order to shift dominant narrative and move culture toward positive social progress.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
Abundance: We operate from a place of strength, with a spirit of empathy and generosity.
Authentic Collaboration: We are engaged and interconnected.
Personal Agency: We are empowered and accountable.
Boldness: We create with courage and purpose.
The Visitor Experience Associate (VXA) plays a critical public-facing role at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The VXA promotes a positive visitor experience while enforcing YBCA procedures, ensuring that the visitors’ first and last impression of their experience at YBCA is a positive one. In addition to making all guests feel welcome and valued, this position is accountable for processing admissions and event tickets, memberships and donations, merchandise, and enhancing visitors’ experience and understanding of the art and ideas presented in YBCA exhibitions. VXAs will be cross-trained in customer service and sales, safety and gallery procedures, and gallery exhibitions.
- Greet visitors, process ticket sales and facilitate visitor access to galleries and performances.
- Provide visitors with information via in-person, phone or email, maintaining a courteous and helpful attitude at all times, having developed good working knowledge of YBCA facilities, exhibitions, and activities.
- Ensure all visitors receive an initial orientation to YBCA.
- Suggest events, programs, and membership offerings to visitors, based on their interests
- Demonstrate a well-rounded understanding of YBCA’s mission, vision and brand
- Adhere to required dress code
- Partner with security staff and events staff to deliver an exceptional visitor experience
- Promote on-site membership sales; promote merchandise sales and on-site donations
- Resolve customer services issues and/or elevate them to Management when appropriate
- Keep galleries stocked with exhibition information and maintain interpretive stations; Assist with daily set-ups in public spaces and special event set-ups, including minimal A/V needs
- Assist with coat check as needed
- Attend all staff and departmental meetings as required by management and participate in cross-departmental initiatives as needed
- Monitor activities within assigned post to prevent theft, vandalism, damage to works of art, or injury to visitors or staff
- Know and enforce YBCA policies and immediately report critical incidents of violation or unusual activity or occurrences to appropriate personnel; report minor occurrences on a daily report form
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required, Bachelor’s degree preferred; coursework, concentration, or related experience in the arts a plus
- Passion for contemporary art and willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances which may present challenging and provocative subject matter
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and maintain a positive demeanor in a variety of circumstances
- Strong teamwork orientation; able to work well with diverse staff, clients, and patrons
- Comfortable operating PC computer systems and software, telephones, office equipment and cash handling
- Ability to work variable schedules, including days, evenings, weekends, or holidays
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift a maximum of 30 lbs, ability to bend/squat/sit/stand for long periods of time, and comfort/ability to use ladders required
- Previous work experience in customer service strongly preferred
- Familiarity with computerized ticketing services, particularly Tessitura, a plus
- Experience in handling financial transactions and large sums of money with integrity, a plus
- Bilingual skills and CPR/First Aid training a plus
PTO, Holiday Pay, Paid Time for Volunteer Work, Reciprocal Museum Admission, and ability to participate in 403(b) retirement plan.
Send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to email@example.com. Please include “PT Visitor Experience Associate” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes— really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).