Job Title: Head Technician
Status: Full-Time, Union I.A.T.S.E. Local 16
Schedule: Minimum of 40 hrs/week guaranteed as per the working agreement between Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and I.A.T.S.E Local 16. Frequent evenings and weekends required.
Reports to: Director of Production
We are looking for an experienced and energetic Head Technician to join our production team. This position functions as a working supervisor and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production. It demands a high degree of responsibility and visibility as it interfaces with an array of clients and artists. The Head Technician will partner with the Production Team and other departments to provide outstanding technical services to all events and performances in our Forum. The Forum is a 6,700 square feet, flexible space that hosts innovative arts experiences, community gatherings and celebrations, as well as private parties, conferences and workshops. The ideal candidate will provide great customer service, is highly organized and able to work in a fast moving environment maintaining a professional, positive and friendly attitude.
- Manages, supervises and operates technical services in the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Forum for YBCA, non-profit organizations and commercial rentals events.
- Manages and supervises the I.A.T.S.E. Local 16 crew, including schedule work calls with the Local 16 office, maintain accurate daily time sheets and prepare stewards reports for payroll.
- Maintains professional, productive and supportive relationships with clients, Events and Production Managers and vendors to ensure the highest overall success in all programs and rental services.
- Collaborates with show personnel (Technical Director, Production and Event Managers) to fulfill the needs of each individual show and assist in pre-production planning, development and preparation of plans and plots and, as the working Steward, leads the crew from load-in to load-out.
- Helps establish and enforce appropriate safety procedures.
- Maintains lighting, sound, rigging and audio/visual theatrical systems.
- Oversees the use and installation of house equipment and the interface of systems and equipment provided by clients.
- Maintains and documents inventory and usage of all theatrical equipment and supplies.
- When possible, attends YBCA staff, production department and event production meetings.
- Advices and assists in acquiring and installing of new theatrical systems and equipment.
- Head Technician will be assigned to work in all facilities within the Center as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- At least 5 years successful experience as a Technician or in an equivalent position.
- Proficient knowledge of theatrical systems, including lighting, sound, rigging and video.
- Ability to read building plans, specifications and diagrams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high level of diplomacy.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and willingness to take initiative.
- Proven success in supervising and coordinating the work of others.
- Outstanding organizational skills, with particular attention to detail.
- Capacity to work under pressure of deadlines while maintaining generosity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated experience as a self-starter, with ability to handle multiple tasks within tight schedules.
- Ability to perform a variety of functions that require sustained, strenuous physical exertion including activities such as moving and heavy lifting (up to 50lb), stacking, pushing, pulling, bending, twisting, climbing, and standing for extended periods during load ins, load outs, rehearsals and performances. Ability to work at heights. Ability to work in dark conditions during performances and rehearsals and to work in noisy environments for prolonged periods.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience with PC or Mac computer systems and software including Microsoft Office and Vectorworks, or similar CAD software.
Benefits include Medical coverage, PTO, Holiday Pay, Floating Holiday & Pre-tax Commuter Deductions. Free/member admission, member discounts at shops, & potential discounts on concert/lecture tickets at participating North American Reciprocal Museum institutions with your YBCA badge.
Send your resume, cover letter, & desired salary range outlining your interest in working for YBCA to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Head Technician” in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls or faxes—really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. YBCA encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation.
YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).