Job Title: Accounting Specialist
Department: Accounting and Finance
Status: Regular, Full-Time (37.5 Hours/Week with Benefits)
Schedule: Monday through Friday, to include occassional events, evenings/weekends
Reports to: Finance Director
- Accounts Payable – process all incoming invoices for payment; respond to vendor inquiries; mail payments; follow-up with department managers on aging and past-due invoices; process all check requests for contracted workers; maintain completed contracts and tax paperwork for all contractors; train any temporary staff in A/P processing
- Accounts Receivable – process incoming payments; make bank deposits; make change for Concessions banks; liaison for A/R with Raffle Administrator, Box Office, Development, Events, and Concessions; reconcile high-volume raffle check deposits with orders in Raffle Admin system
- Dream House Raffle – manage raffle order input for all mail-in and online orders; anticipate and request additional staffing as needed; general raffle processing training; customer follow-up for order errors; liaison with Raffle Administrator for order problems and mailing list maintenance; supply raffle tracking materials to Box Office and Development; mail correspondence for special requests from patrons
- Ungerboeck System (USI) –act as the USI power user on the Accounting Team, advising other staff on the use of USI when it affects the accounting for events; manage accounting for events in USI, including entering of payments, reviewing and finalizing invoices, exporting journal entries to Financial Edge and troubleshooting as necessary
- Credit Card Purchasing – manage monthly corporate credit card reporting process for 25+ staff card holders; liaison with credit card company for funds allocation, fraudulent activity, and managing card holders; follow-up with missing receipts and approval signatures
- Bank reconciliation – assist with monthly reconciliation of credit card deposits by comparing bank statement details to internal deposit entry; research and pin-point discrepancies in Tessitura and merchant bank portals; liaison with IT and Tessitura for troubleshooting system compatibility; follow up with discrepancies with patrons as needed
- Respond to staff requests for petty cash reimbursements and request refill to petty cash fund as necessary
- Maintain files for accounts payable, deposits, journal entries, box office receipts, contracts, cleared checks, W-9s, payroll garnishment paperwork and other forms as necessary; box files for archive periodically; pull files for year-end projects and audits; preserve clearly labeled and organized files in the accounting office and archive
- Tax Preparation – review and prepare tax reporting for 1099 Misc and W2-G forms annually, including ordering, printing and mailing forms; follow up and update addresses with any returned forms. Assist in preparation of quarterly tax reporting to the Board of Equalization.
- Work with Finance Director and Department Managers to maintain the fixed asset inventory including participating in the annual inventory.
- Provides guidance to all staff on interpretation of accounting policies, procedures and best practices.
- Supervise the Accounting Clerk including training, assigning work load, reviewing work quantity and quality, providing input for employee’s annual evaluation.
- Assist with accounting-related needs of events as needed (may require some evening and weekend work)
- Assist Finance Director and Senior Accountant and Payroll Specialist with special projects; identify opportunities for process improvements
Administrative and other duties:
- Ordering special supplies for Accounting such as check stock and envelopes, toner and general office supplies
- Requesting and training additional staffing help as needed for high volume periods
- Other duties will be required as needed; employees are expected to be flexible and responsive to change
- Minimum three years’ experience in accounting
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in accounting or equivalent work experience.
- Proactive and detail-oriented with the ability to work independently, follow through on project and strong problem solving skills.
- Customer service oriented; able to shift gears and respond to questions from staff and general public in a generous and helpful way
- Proficiency with Windows, Word and Excel required, experience with Financial Edge preferred; experience with USI or other event revenue software preferred
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Experience working in a non-profit organization preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, flexibility and sense of humor
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential situations with tact and poise
- Ability to prioritize assignments, process high volumes of paperwork accurately, and work under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Ability to move file boxes and incoming mail as needed (up to 20lbs)
- Interest and willingness to work alongside contemporary works of art and performances which present challenging and provocative subject matter
Benefits include PTO, Holiday Pay, Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Commuter Benefit, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance, Voluntary Life and AD&D, Employee Assistance Program, Travel Assistance, and ability to participate in the 403(b) Retirement Plan.
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include Accounting Specialist in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls, drop–ins, or faxes — really. While we love your enthusiasm, due to the volume of applications and our limited resources, we will respond only to applicants we intend to interview. If you receive our automated thank you, we have received your resume and there is no need to follow up.
Principals only. We do not accept resumes from third parties and we will not pay fees to any agency or firm. Any unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of YBCA and will be processed accordingly.
We wish you the best of luck in your job search!
Yerba Buena Center for the Arts (YBCA) is committed to diversity in its programming and in creating a work culture and environment that is reflective of San Francisco Bay Area demography. The Center encourages and actively recruits applicants representing dimensions of difference that include — but are not limited to — age, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, ability, sexual orientation, gender or political affiliation. YBCA will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).